This was inspired by the Raw Essentials Bone Broth that I make for my dog and cats. I adapted it to use bones that are suitable for humans (because who wants to eat duck feet!!)
It’s really simple to make and is a great snack in winter or summer. You can have it on its own and add in salt and pepper to give it some extra flavour or use it in cooking to replace the store bought stock/broth.
I’ve given the option here for chicken or beef. I personally prefer chicken but it’s handy to have both.
- Take 2 – 4 organic chicken frames or 1 – 2kg of organic beef bones (depending on the flavour you want, the size of your pot and how much you want to make). Bones can be fresh or frozen.
- Add bones to a pot or slow cooker
- Cover with water
- Add 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Let it simmer in a pot with a lid on OR cook on high in a slow cooker, for 15 – 18 hours
- When it’s done, mash to mix it all together
- Strain the solid bits out
- Keep the liquid
- Can be stored in the fridge and eaten within 3 days
- Or freeze in ice cube trays/baking moulds to use when needed
- When you want to eat it, you can heat it from frozen
If you don’t want to make it yourself, you can buy it from Raw Essentials (make sure you get the human one not the animal one!) Not affiliated but I LOVE their broth! Website is here, check out a location near you. www.rawessentials.co.nz